Local officials in Sar-e-Pul province on Monday night confirmed that security forces have entered the Mirza Olang Valley and cleared it of insurgents.
According to officials, so far around 40 insurgents have been killed, but the number may increase as troops advance forward.
"The latest figures of our intelligence and investigative departments show that more than 40 insurgents have been killed and over 20 others wounded. We are trying to find out the exact casualties of the enemy and their identities to share with the media," Sar-e-Pul governor, Mohammad Zahir Wadat said.
By Monday afternoon security forces were strengthening their position in the valley, and later entered the valley and took back control of the area, said officials.
Mirza Olang Valley fell to the Taliban and Daesh a week ago. Following the collapse, insurgents targeted civilians and killed around 50 villagers.
Taliban however rejected the claims.
A military operation was launched six days ago and finally on Monday evening the area was cleared of insurgents.
TOLOnews journalist, Samim Faramarz, was the first journalist in the area following the recapture.
Reporting from Mirza Olang, Faramarz said the valley is mostly deserted but a few families stayed behind. Hundreds of families fled the area after last week's massacre.