We have seen so far traditions from the Sunni sources related to Imam Ali (a.s.), which prove the superiority of Ali (a.s.) over all other companions of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.).
Now after proving this fact (superiority of Ali (a.s.)) from the traditions of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.), we now take a look at the Holy Quran and see what it has to say in this regard.
There are about 86 verses in the Holy Quran extolling the virtues of Ali ibne Abi Talib (a.s.). We will take a look at some of them.
Ayat 1.Â â€œVerily, your master is only Allah and His Apostle and those who believe, those who establish prayers and pay the zakaat while bowed (in worship)â€
The Muslim scholars, Sunni and Shia alike, agree that this verse was revealed in honor of Imam Ali (a.s.). It clearly shows that there are only three masters of the believers. Firstly, Allah, secondly, His Prophet (s.a.w.) and thirdly Ali (a.s.) (with the eleven succeeding Imams).
Abu Dharr al-Ghifari says that one day he was praying with the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) when a beggar came to the Prophetâ€™s mosque. None responded to his pleas. The beggar raised his hands towards heavens and said, Allah! Be a witness that I came to the Prophetâ€™s Mosque and no one gave me anything. Ali (a.s.) was bowing, in ruku at that time. He pointed his little finger, on which was a ring, towards him who came forward and took away the ring. This incident occurred in the Holy Prophetâ€™s (s.a.w.) presence who raised his face towards heavens and prayed : O Lord! My brother Musa had begged to You to open his chest to make his work easy for him, to loosen the knot of his tongue so that people might understand him and to appoint from among his relations his brother, as his vizier, and to strengthen his back with Harun and to make Harun his partner in his work. O Allah! You said to Musa, We will strengthen your arms with your brother. No one will now have an access to either of you! O Allah! I am Mohammed and You have given me distinction. Open my chest for me, make my work easy for me and from my family appoint my brother Ali as my vizier Strengthen my back with him.
The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) had not yet finished his prayers when Jibrael (a.s.) brought the above quoted verse.
At-Tabari: at-Tafsir, vol.6, pg 186
As-Suyuti : ad- Durrul Manthur, Vol. 2, Pgs. 293-4
Ar-Razi: at Tafsirul Kabir, vol. 12, pg. 26
Az- Zamakshari: at tafsir (al-Kashshaf), vol. 1, pg. 649
Al- Jassas: Ahkamul Quran, vol.2 pgs. 542-3
Al- Khazin : at-Tafsir, vol. 2, pg. 68
1. Obey Allah obey His Messenger and those of authority from amongst you (Ulul Amr) … . (Nisa : 59)
2. I donot ask anything from you, except the love of my kinship. (42: 43)
3. O Apostle! Deliver what had been sent down to you from your Lord; and if you have not delivered His message (at all) and Allah will protect you from the people. (5.67)
4. This day I have perfected your religion and I have completed my bounty upon you and I have approved Islam as your religion. (5:3)
5. But whoever disputes with you in this matter after what has come to you of knowledge. Then say: â€œCome let us call our sons and your sons and our women and your women and ourselves and yourselves. Then let us be earnest in prayer and invoke the curse of Allah upon the liars.â€ (3:61)
6. Allah only desires to keep away abomination from you, O people of the house! And to purify you a through purifying. (33:33)
These are just a few of the many ayats regarding Ali (a.s.) in the Holy Quran. One can check the â€˜Tafsirâ€™ of the above mentioned ayats to know the exact detail of the events.